Monday, July 28, 2008

Breaking into a new decade.

This weekend I turned twenty. Who would have thought I could get this old? I feel much more mature now saying "I am twenty". There is a difference between 19 and 20. Probably it's that I no longer have to say nine-TEEN. The world's perception of teenagers has made me excited to no longer be coupled with "bad drivers" and "irresponsible-credit-card-holders". All in all though, age is more something for a driver's license than anything else. If I have learned anything in my years of living, it is that age is only a measure for statistics, and should not ever hold us from what we want to do or God is telling us to do.

The morning of Saturday, July 26th, began with an exuberant girl waking up and tearing open an envelope from a certain someone who had sent a certain something along with a certain Bekah before she left a certain day. I couldn't wait! I had stared at the envelope pinned up to my bulletin board for 23 days before I was allowed to even consider opening it. Although, I must confess, I did think about opening and resealing...it was only briefly, and then I remembered how my mom snuck into her parents room before Christmas one year and had to fake that suprise when she "saw her gifts for the first time". Anyway, for the record, I couldn't even tell what was in the envelope by the time I had opened it because my eyes were still REMing. After a quick dash to the loo, I came back and stared at the lovely photo from my dear friend. I called him to tell him how thankful and excited I was for his artistic ability, and he didn't answer. I think he is screening my calls. My roommates wouldn't let me leave the room, so I thought, "I will call my family!". Hahah, after no one answered their phones, I called my dad's cell phone. Old faithful. Even if we can only talk for ten minutes, it was better than not talking to them at all. The conversations with Dad and Sarah began with "What are you doing today?" and I explained, "well, it's my birthday." The time change, never gets old. Once I was released into the base, I smelled a tantalizing fragrance, that can only be described as chocolate chip pancakes. A little taste of Saturday mornings at the Dinneen household, only complete with mom saying "Please make a couple without chocolate chips." What lovely friends. They had decorated a table with items from the Salvation Army bin (one man's trash is another's treasure). We had an abundance of breakfast and we were able to share with our Sports DTS friends. Slowly we were a group of 13 surrounding a six person table. It was a morning to remember. Later in the day Melisa and went into the city for bubble tea, then we had my dinner table, dessert at Darcy's house and then a sleepoveer.

The highlight of the day was after lame-non-Seattle Bubble Tea. Melisa and I rushed back to the base to meet all of our school mates and staff. We were headed to Kangaroo Island. It had been described to me as "a fenced in area with kangaroos roaming". I thought it sounded interesting, I probably would've described it as a marsupial zoo though. Anyway, we arrived at the island, which actually was a peninsula, and began filing into a fenced area. I was thinking "Okay, it is a fenced area, doubled fenced so that kangaroos don't get out". While I was discussing my brilliant revelation with someone, someone shouts "hey, there's one!". I look for the other fence...and then I get it. "Wait, are WE fenced in WITH the kangaroos?" Slowly we started closing in on the 100 meters between us and the roos. I was fascinated, taking video of little specks hopping around. We were able to get closer and closer, I was shocked. Soon we were nearly 10 meters away. I was snapping photos, posing like them, simply enamored. This was not like the zoo at all. One by one, people were getting within a meter or two of them. I was started to get a bit leary...Thinking back to Animal Planet, watching the stupid tourists attract Kangaroos with dried banana chips, and before you know the get slapped acrossed the face and are out $30,000 for plastic surgery bills, not to mention they were only able to enjoy Australia for 12 hours. So I was not planning on getting any closer. Robyn had a different plan. She grabbed me by the hand and lead me to the grazing kangaroo. Before I knew it, I was letting it sniff my hand and then stroking it's cuddly fur. Who would have thought? I practically embraced a kangaroo the first time I ever saw one. Woah...I am almost Australian.

Anyway, a memorable day nonetheless...I guess I am stating the obvious at this point.

6 comments:

Jess said...

I guess it's a sign for how long you've been out of the states (the last trip included) that you are talking distance in meters. I couldn't even begin to describe distance in metric... oh, beks, you're truly a "citizen of the world." haha

Anonymous said...

I never even saw a kangaroo when I was in Australia!!!! Cool Birthday!!! Hanging out with the roos!! I guess missing your calls happens to more than just me! Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

that sounds like the stupidest birthday ever....
Okay, I'm just the jealous middle child.
M

Anonymous said...

it's so good to hear from you Bek. glad to hear you had an enjoyable bday and a fun time with roos... that's so cool! keep walking in the power and the love of our Maker and shaking the broken world around you with your faith. talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

I'll always pickup the anonymous

phone number hoping it will be

you!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Now I would have thought your favorite memory of your birthday would have have been talking with Pat and I???? Well, it was the best part of our day! I have to agree with Jess on your description of distance in meters. Of course, I have issue of judging distance in 'feet'....

Missed all the Dinneen kids at camp this week. Dad and I had a tough time with the bicuits and gravy...such fond memories of you thinking that Black Lake must certainly 'know' it was your birthday therefore this wonderful meal! Also I relived your 18th birthday when you flew off of the Blob at camp. No rockets this year....it exploded the week before we arrived :)