Thursday, July 17, 2008

Paper plate night!

Tonight we had Thursday night evangelism. I have learned about YWAM Perth, that every hour of the day is organized. Organization is not a bad thing, no, not at all, in fact it is necessary when you eat gourmet lunch and dinner with 250 people. I imagined Perth being upwards of a 1000 people, although it is one of their goals, they (we) are approximately 500 people. That is including those on outreach, staff, etc.
One of my favorite things that the base does is functioning as a community, like I mentioned, everyone, families, students, staff, eat lunch and dinner together. We choose a table by subtracting the number of people in a family, example Jones-3, from the number of seats at the table. Every night you can sit with different people, different families. It is spectacular. Along with functioning as a community, at 8:00am every morning, those who do not have biological family that they are living with, meet at their assigned chore, and we clean for thirty minutes. Every morning, I clean the girls at 228's toilets. We serve one another and also keep the base tidy.
After paper plate pasta (delectable), we went to a shopping mall. It was the most diverse mall one has seen. The people I met were from India and Somalia. I feel like this will be a powerful evening, every week. God wants to bring life to so many of these people who have been displaced or are refugees. How beautiful it is to say "God loves you" to a nine month pregnant Somalian woman and see her light up. I wonder, why haven't I done this more at home?
I want to write some more, but it is bedtime and my Peruvian roommate is restless, probably because of the keyboard clicking...Goodnight all...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did once a week evangelism at the mall! Although we called it the plaza! I liked hanging out with the goth kids!!! As for community living, I agree it's pretty darn amazing!!! Have fun scrubbing those toilets! Love you Bek!

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that at least one YWAM base has organization! Cory would be ecstatic and probably giggling if there were such a thing like that in Herrnhut. So, have you picked up an Australian accent yet? ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Bek,
It is awesome to hear from you. You are great there :)... your writing and story telling are hystarical by the way... :) daddy long leggs... that was funny. Well we are praying for you and know that God will encourage you when you need it and give you strength when you are weak and tired... God Bless!!
Chad

crredding said...

Bek is a champ! WOO!