Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Palpation Station.

I can't believe this is it. I am here. I am in Perth. I think it is finally real. Tonight we watched a moving clip with women in India and Kenya. They shared about lives that had been lost because of no skilled attendant to help their mother, aunt, sister. 600,000 deaths occur in pregnancy evary year, 98% in the developing world. These 8 minutes brought me "to", I am here. God, I will see this changed.

Mondays are quite busy for us, worship, lecture, lunch, work duties, assessment, dinner, presentations. Before presentations last night though, we had a special treat for some exhausted students, a pregnant woman! It seems as if our school studies about this species all the time, but we never actually seem them. When Marika walked into the room, we were all but shrilling. Darcy demonstrated palpation techniques on her. We listened to the fetal heart, guessed her gestation (we were two days off!) and learned the dos and don'ts of it all. Ahhh, it was a moment I will not forget. Palpation will be something we regularly do while holding antenatal clinics. Late last week we conducted a "clinic", including testing urine/haemoglobin, millions of questions, vitals, nutrition education, and much more. It was like adding the missing puzzle piece to have a real fetus and mother and see the palpation. I was on cloud nine.

Every Tuesday and Friday we have base intercession. This morning as we seeked out God's heart for us to pray, there was unity in our small group of four to pray out protection, declare victory and repress the enemy. I am just in awe of the power and authority we have in Christ. To see what happens when we set aside time to seek God for his heart. We had a beautiful time of declaring God's Character over the world, Australia, Perth, us. Seek first his face.

I think it should be at the end of next week when we find out where we are going on outreach. For sure, we will be going to Jakarta, Indonesia. The other places are still unclear. We are waiting on communication stuff.

Yesterday, I walked into our room and immediately had to leave. What had died in our room? I was positive Tod Packer had sent us a mystery parcel. Throughout the day, during breaks, we walked into the room with our shirts over our faces. We would search for the stench as long as we could stay in the room. Finally, before dinner, we found it. "It". Perhaps I should wait until the next post...Any guesses?

7 comments:

Cindy Nelson said...

Bekah,
What an amazing writer you are. You are keeping me spellbound with your accounting of your days. I hope you do write a book! I can see that wonderful joyous smile of yours and know you are blessing each one you meet. You are loved and we miss you, but rejoice that God has you in His Hand right where he wants you. Much Love,
Cindy, Mike, Molly and Zoe

Pastor Steve said...

a dead rat???

Jess said...

steve guessed it; i was going to say rat, but i guess I will go with "unidentified marsupial" since you are in Australia and everything. Maybe they have mini rat like creatures there? haha Miss you, love you, etc.

Jess said...

PS... I have a new post! (I got your comment).

Charlotte said...

Smells like a baby's diaper filled with Indian food!! (you know the next one hahaha)

Anonymous said...

Bekah, I miss you and wanted to send a quick note to say
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MISS BEKAH, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.
I know it's not until the 26th but I don't know how often you check this.

PS - Jordy got her license! YIKES

Love you,
Miss Patti

Gretchen said...

Steve stole my guess...

But since you're in Australia, maybe it was a dead snake?

Love your writing.