Saturday, November 07, 2009

my update from last week. don't worry i will post a new one too.

Hi family and friends.



Today is undoubtedly Halloween, however, what I found out in Germany is that saying “Happy Halloween” usually denotes that you welcome demons, etc. So I have erased that little phrase from my vocabulary. Something still dings in my brain every time I see the 31st of October written that I cannot simply ignore it…give it a couple more years.



All of that to say that today is the last of the month and I get to update you for the first time since I have been in Tanzania . Let me first just exclaim “Thank you G*od for all those who have sent me and are still supporting me!”. It is such a joy to update you. Now that I have that out of the way, what a startlingly impressive month we have experienced together as our team of 27 hailing from 11 nations in a brand new nation.



We are living in a predominately Muslim village. The local greeting comes from the strong Arab influence of Zanzibar where slave trading was heavily indulged in. To anyone considerably older than you, so for me to say to a 40ish year old, I would say “shikamoo”, meaning: “I am under your feet” and they would respond with “marahaba”, meaning: I reduce your punishment”. We have learned about the passivity of the people to see any change in their village, due to “enshallah”, basically everything is Allah’s will, so why would I try and change anything?



In having the last month to settle in and wait for our work permits for the hospital, we have been able to dig our heels into the environment of the village. Through pra*yer walking and making friends in the village, we met a Chri*stian woman who gave us an open door to begin doing health care teachings with children, which lead to more friend making, which lead to the women’s class. It was a massive pra*ise report to be able to start a women’s class with about 18 Muslim women because of this prevalent mindset that “everything that is happening to me is supposed to happening to me, why would education change anything?”. We are committed to see the group continue to meet while we are here and dream of handing it over to a new staff here at the base that also has a heart for health care. Women need a space to be silly, dance, ask questions and find solid friendship. It is beginning with health care and we pr*ay that it will fuel freedom and value for each of the women.



We have been battling for work permits for our team and saw them released finally! We started going to the hospital and clinic this week. On average there are about 50-70 deliveries daily at the hospital. There are many women, labouring there on the floor, sometimes delivering without anyone near them, babies dying from fevers, mothers with eclampsia. We have been discussing on our lunch breaks “How can we bring God’s kingdom here?”, knowing what is happening is not God’s will. G*od is all about reconciliation (2 Cor 5:16-21) and rebuilding and redeeming. The answer does not always lie in beginning our own clinic, but we know G*od’s heart is restoration, now. So we are set to be a part of it all for the next three months.



Here at the base is a small clinic. It is peaceful, like a refuge. We are able to see the two extremes and learn from both, we are so blessed to take part.



Thank you guys for your support, each month. Every email is a tangible blessing. Please feel free to send some input or questions and I will get back to you when I am able!



Bekah



A request; the team has been riddled with malaria and currently seven are infected. If you could offer that one up and cover our unity we would appreciate any pra*yers to see the sickness flee.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Praying for you and the team, Bek. Thanks, as always for these amazing updates. xxxooo