Saturday, November 14, 2009

here you are.

This week I was in the labour ward. We have weekly rotations so the students are in one section for a week and we as staff do the same, rotating weekly so we are with different groups and in different wards. This is a story from this week.

Our first week in the labour ward began by orientating ourselves to the protocols and learning about the function of rotation, few women were close to delivering which gave us the chance to strip down the baby’s cribs where resuscitating happens and the “waiting room” crib. We pra*yed over the cribs, binding and rebuking the spi*rit of death and blatantly proclaimed it was a place for life to be loosed. There is also one crib in the corner of the room where babies who die remain until their family can take them. The babies stay there from the night and are there when we arrived in the mornings. The first day, there were three dead babies, our second day to the hospital-two dead babies, the third day-one dead baby. Yesterday was our last day in the ward and as we walked in several of us quickly shot a glance at the crib and it was empty. Not one baby died while we were present in the labour ward this week. Life is coming abruptly at Temeke Hosipitali.


I feel like I still have a lot to process. How often do I say that in my posts? Very often. I want you to know where I am at though even if my mental filter feels blocked like a siev with soggy noodles, if you will.

Bleh, so I feel hopeful, but I don't geel like it is coming right now, but I need to sit in this place of "where is the hope for these women, the hospital, the overworked staff?" I need to think, pray, dream and the hope will come. I need to wrestle with these realities of suffering, the lack of joy, the overcrowding, the chaos and in the meantime daily ask for sustinance to be hope, to be light, to be with the women in the hospital.

There have been endless opportunities for the students this week to insert catheters, cannulas, catch babies. They are bubbling with excitement and experience.

This week each group found themselves deep cleaning their wards, nothing slowed down in the wards, rather-sing to a mama while dusting the window sill, drop your mop, change your gloves-catch that baby. On the ride home one ward shared that they had the inside scoop, Naomi Campbell-the British super model, was coming on Friday.

Normally, we don't go to the hospital on Fridays but Robyn heard from G*od that she was to go and share. She recalled a prop*hesy over our team that we would go before Kings and that we needn't have anxiety because G*od would fill our mouths. And so, yesterday, Robyn and two students headed to the hospital while the rest of us remained for our day of teaching. G*od was there. They were able to share about the need in the hospital, share about G*od!, share about our school...ahhh, incredible report. They spoke with Princess Sarah of Jordan, a photographer from Spain, a musician from Tanzanian, a journalist from Tanzania and of course-Naomi Campbell.

G*od is really cool. I will send a more specific test*imony next week but couldn't wait that long to tell you the amazing way G*od redirected yesterday.

Thanks guys. Love you my friends. Thanks for pra*ying for healing, in total 17 ended up having malaria, only two are still recovering.

Just a couple photos. I was a bit hesitant to post them. I don't want to exploit the women, but I decided to. So, this is how it is, this is reality.

the ward where our lovely women wait to be 4 cm, and then they go to the labour ward.



This is one after they have delivered.




One thing that Princess Sarah of Jordan said yesterday was "These women shouldn't be on the floor", we agree.

6 comments:

pam said...

Incredible story, as always.
Incredible God, as always.
Incredible Love.....

Bless you!

Anonymous said...

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry, He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord. Psalm 40: 1-3

Your feet are on the Rock, you are sharing the song of praise.

What a blessing to share your journey and see God at work in the lives of these precious women!

Lots of Love my dear Bekah!
Cindy

Anonymous said...

thanks for all the news!!!!!!!!
PRAISES over the impact of you girls' words and may the influence of those HE sent bring change. I was so encouraged especially by your testimony about the crib.... that brings life and joy to my heart to read that!!!!
Keep on keeping on my friend!
YOU girl are changing history and life!
Love you,
Ash in CO

Megan said...

WOWWWWWWW. Can't wait to hear further details of this story next week Bek...

wow. wow. wow!!

Megan said...

WOWWWWWWW. Can't wait to hear further details of this story next week Bek...

wow. wow. wow!!

Gretchen said...

Those women are so beautiful, Bek. Thank you for showing us and for your long-suffering on behalf of these and others. I imagine it would be hard to be in a focused state of thanksgiving each moment, given what you face. God has equipped you so beautifully, my friend. You are such a blessing to them and to us.