Monday, November 23, 2009

I am multitasking: typing and wincing at my sunburned shoulders and legs.

Sunburned from our Thanksgiving celebration. Contradiction?

Yesterday, with the locals on staff and our whole team, we crammed ourselves into two “vans” and we were on our way to the ocean. I spent the day playing catch, beach/water balloon volleyball, beach soccer and swimming. It was freeing, not only to wear shorts, but also to be together as a family for a whole afternoon and evening. In the evening we shared why we celebrated thanksgiving and then around our tables, while nibbling on Trifle, we also shared the things that we were thankful for at that moment. Throughout the week we have been doing this, polishing up on habitual thankfulness, each time there has been something different that popped into mind. I think Thanksgiving is Bib*lical, as is feasting. So enjoy your family feasting on Thursday, can’t wait to hear all about them.



I am hopping back and forth between the stories to tell you. Okay, I think I’ve got them.



Thursday. I was in the postnatal/admissions ward. 4 students. About 100 women.

One student was caring for the women who’d had their babies, taking vital signs, doing breastfeeding teachings, looking for extra digits, etc. She found one baby who had a fever of about 38 degrees (100F). It is all too common for fevers to happen, which leads to exhausted babies who won’t feed and become dehydrated and then diarrhea and then every day is a fight. After notifying the ward charge, she began to take this mum and bub under her wing. She began with assisting the feeding process, which resulted in the mom expressing milk and cup feeding. She also stripped the baby’s layers down to a single piece of fabric and dabbed him with another wet piece of fabric. All the while she continued to pray. Within an hour or so, the baby’s temperature was down to 37 degrees (98.6F) and his overall condition had improved! Mir*acle? I think so.



This same day, one of doctor friends, whom most of us have worked with, came to us with something on his heart. He said “I want to be like you people, can you pray with me?” And just like that, Doctor G repeated after Melisa in a prayer and gave his life to the L*ord.



So much to thank G*od for.

I am thankful for my blogger friends.

Happy Thanksgiving! Don’t miss the Radiocity Rockettes!

3 comments:

Rachel H said...

I miss you guys so much it hurts my heart. I'm so thankful for all your amazing stories and your amazing test- i mon - knees. Hug everyone for me and get a huge hug from me from someone. I can't wait to see you guys in Perth in January. I'm p to the rayin' for you guys and sharing your stories left and right in America. love you!

pam s. said...

Dearest Bek, I am thankful that you are such a blessing to me, and that your testimonies keep me in tears - and challenged! - in my cushy, clean world. There is so much I take for granted....thank you for shaking up my thinking!

Happy Thanksgiving,
with much love,
pam

Gretchen said...

What Pam said. Me too! Hugs, dear one.