Friday, June 05, 2009

This week has been strange, coming back to a western country, re-entering a place that once was so familiar when I was here earlier, communicating with my family regularly, doing everything inside as opposed to life under a tree. I am enjoying the amenities of instant hot water, warm showers and new (well, it's been in a suitcase for 8months) clothing. I have been processing things with my team and inwardly about who I have become, what I have achieved and what I am still setting goals for. Thoughts of Uganda and Lingira are in and out of my head, knowing that life is continuing the same way there as when I left it and for now I am on a different path. I have learned a lot about the school to come as the staff have accepted new students (18 accepted by the way, biggest school ever), where my new house will be and the new min*istries running at the base. It has been a week of reflecting and being informed. I feel a little backed up, like someone dipped the funnel in water before putting sugar into the shaker and the level of the sugar just keeps growing in the funnel. So slowly I am processing this reverse culture shock and the changes that have occurred. At certain moments I think I have just had to say "G*od, you are good". I know his character, I know there is nothing but good in his heart and I can stand on that, even when I am swaying in different directions wondering what is happening all around me and who I am in it all. It has been a challenging week. I am dreading the goodbye to Sarah, one of the students who is returning to Peru, for almost everyday of the last 11 months, she has been by my side. She has taught me to be resourceful; patch the worn out thighs of my jeans, make crepes out of onions and kill a chicken with a dull knife and most of all, she has taught me to love. It will only be one year until we see eachother, but until then, we part in the physical.

Here I come Seattle.

1 comment: