Saturday, March 07, 2009

yes!!!! it worked!

see, we do blend in.

obama. baby obama.

a lovely mum. same age as me, baby number two.

mommy mary. you will be rebuked if you don't call her mommy.







Recently I have been seeing a lot of white men (meaning white people in general). Guys, I feel so awkward when I see them. It’s absolutely ridiculous. It must stop (at least before June).

It is Saturday morning, I am sitting in my dark room, typing on the top bunk before I head to the internet with Paula at 11, listening to some German music from a good pal at home, craving a crunch wrap supreme with one fire sauce.

So I know that some of you who are reading my blog are not receiving my updates. A couple of times I have posted them on my blog for this reason, but not always. I have decided this is the best way to keep everyone in the loop, post it on the World Wide Web, thanks Al Gore. So here is my update for the month of March…brace yourself---

Never before have I experienced such a short February! We have one and a half weeks left in Cameroon until we begin to make our way to Sudan. We will take a bus to Douala on the 19th and then fly out on the 20th to Kenya, then from Nairobi to Entebbe, Uganda. We will take a bus to the north and then stay at the Arua base for two days in Uganda. From there we will take another bus to the south of Sudan. As much as I am dreading the farewells, I anxiously anticipate the people and landscape of Sudan, a different beauty awaits our team.

During this month I saw G*od fulfill the experiences that we as a team needed. The previous schools have spent their clinical time in Hyderabad, India where there are about 60 augmented births a day and had no problem with deliveries. As a team, individually and corporately we have been pushing for deliveries to gain the necessary experience. The thing that I have loved about this is the breakthrough times we have seen, a dry season and then a day with four deliveries. Even though we still don’t have piles of deliveries, each experience is deeply valued. The time we spend with the woman is cherished. We have all learned how to monitor a labouring woman and when it is time to refer. Slowly we are completing the standards of the school. In the slow times in the labour room, we have met many women in different wards, completed our interviews with women and searched for case studies, all leading to relationships that we wouldn’t have been able to build otherwise. As much as I have seen G*od provide the experience, this has been an equally difficult time. Our schedule stays tight with breakfast at 7 and then finishing the day at about 8-9. Wanting to meet G*od in the hospital with the suffering and then trying to process that at the house. I am still trying to learn about drawing from G*od’s strength and investing into others when I feel absolutely empty. For the long-term, I need to learn this; I cannot simply brush this off my shoulder as an optional lesson. G*od has promised this strength to us, he intends for me to live this way.

I wanted to quickly share about my friend Judith. Melisa and I went to visit her and her family again yesterday. She was overjoyed to see us walk through her door and was afraid that we had changed our minds since we were late. She embraced us and welcomed us into her home and introduced us to her friends. After she served us a heaping bowl of rice and fish sauce prepared by her eight year old daughter, she went into a monologue of gratefulness to G*od for her friends. She shared with us something we didn’t know about her pregnancy. She went into labour four days before she actually delivered. She was pra*ying for people who loved G*od and would care for the baby to deliver the baby. When she arrived at the hospital, the contractions stopped after the initial exam and she left. She said she was so grateful, the way she was received and the relief that was on the midwives face when she told her that the pains were stopping made her feel like they didn’t want her to deliver. Another time, the day before she actually delivered, the pains began again and when she arrived to the hospital, the midwives were ridiculing someone for not having a toilet roll and pads creating a hostile environment, again Judith’s pains stopped. The next day, she arrived with some small pains, and we delivered her within an hour. She shared the testimony that G*od gives us the desires of our heart and she wanted someone who would care for her and her baby. Oh, how he uses everything to work together for the best. I am amazed at his provision.

Thank you all for faithfully reading my updates and praying for me. We will continue to grow together through pra*ying for each other. May the Spi*rit of G*od lead you all. ---

Okay, so next Saturday will be my last in Cameroon. In Sudan it will be a 4 ½ mile walk to the internet and it apparently costs 6$ per hour. I am not sure how it will all pan out, but I am going to do my best in keeping you all update via my blog and monthly email updates.

Eat some Taco Bell for me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my fav picture is the one with you and the mommy...only because it highlites your smashed thumb. Thanks Sarah. I was hoping for an email this week...only because we sent you an especially funny one...oh, and because we love you. I'll be waiting for your response. Love you little lamb.

Anonymous said...

Bek,
We all have enjoyed your blog the past months,
Gram especially...You are in her prayers daily
for G*od's safe keeping. Gram follows your path
throughout the world with maps and printouts of
your journal. Take care dear girl. We love you.
Annie

Anonymous said...

i would eat so much taco bell for you if I could. oh boy would I. Love the pictures. Love the update. Love that you are going to Sudan. Hug Mommy Mary for me - big time - and all the women at the hospital and tell them I miss them heaps and to keep praying cause I still haven't found a husband. ahaha! love you too.

Anonymous said...

Miss Bekah, I love seeing your beautiful face! How awesome is our God that he provided an answer to prayer for that mom. I think of you daily and can't wait to read your next blog. Love you Miss Bekah!
PS - there is a taco bell right by my house but maybe I'll send Jordan and Connor there for you;)
Love you!
Miss Patti

Gretchen said...

Bek, rest assured that we eat TB nearly every Sunday after church. I'll be happy to raise a burrito to my lips in your honor. ;)

Fab story about your friend who didn't deliver until she (God had provided) had just the right circumstances around her and her baby.

About investing in others to draw on strength from God. This is a lesson I am slowly learning is not optional, too.

You write with elegant simplicity.