Saturday, March 14, 2009

the big one. keep out of reach of children. cool.

I don’t have so much time to update you all this week. Our time is almost to a close here and the week and weekend is packed. It is our last free day to get all that we need to do done and the house is buzzing with people and their to-do lists.

The highlight of my week in the delivery room would be the birth of a 6kg/13.2 pound baby. For those of you who have birthed a child, you are probably aware of the massive size of this baby. She came out looking like a three month old. No, the mother did not have gestational diabetes, just a history of large babies, the last being 4.5kg/9.9lbs. I am grateful for the experience to learn how to extract a child who is seemingly “stuck” and what my role is in that. The mom was very happy following the delivery and the father just as excited, if not more.

Yesterday, a mother who my friend delivered, came to visit us at the hospital. She had made some of us dresses and we immediately tried them on once we were home from the hospital. I wore mine the whole night, and probably will be wearing it as I am uploading this at the internet. I have received nothing but ill comments about the dress. I think you guys would like it. I have been likened to wearing a pumpkin costume, Raggedy Anne and Cinderella, a cow milker and a cowgirl.

On Thursday, we depart for Douala and then we will fly out in route to Sudan. Maybe you have heard about the issues in Sudan this week, and we are considering them all. Our base leaders, school leader and Hollie and Paula have been pra*ying and communicating about the problems and risks. I am feeling at peace and have received a word from the L*ord about going. I must walk where he is leading. Please pr*ay for the leading of our team and our leadership. I am greatly expectant of the time we are going to spend there.

Ten points to the person (besides my family)who knows what movie the "title" for the blog is from.

8 comments:

Gretchen said...

Will pray for your leaders and the situation in the Sudan, Bek. Hard for me to even imagine...yet I will pray.

I have no clue on the title/movie connection. I'm guessing Parenthood, but I have no earthly idea.

I'm glad you're wearing your dress. How many of us have a dress made for us by someone else? Pictures, please. And even if it's an ugly dress, it's an ugly dress made with love.

Charlotte said...

13 POUND BABY!!! One reason I'm frightened to ever have children.

Ok, please put pictures of you in the dress! The more milkmaid-esque, the better! My guess on the movie: Look who's talking now (although I hope you dont know that movie by heart).

Anonymous said...

I'm really tempted to ruin it for everyone. Oh Sid....oops did I say too much? Love you little lamb.
PS. I'm sitting at mum and da's kitchen table...the girls are in the living room, pretending to work at a coffee shop. Sound familiar?

Anonymous said...

I concur with Gretchen, we really need a picture of you in your dress and the fact you would wear it because some sweet woman made it for you with love from her heart. You are a treasure and I am sure you brighten the life of all you come in contact with. Much love....Miss cindy

Anonymous said...

Thirteen pounds!! That would be like Claire and Elsie all rolled up into one! YIKES! So glad you were able to get him/her "unstuck"!
Prayers for your journey, Dear, lots of them! You are a blessing wherever you go!

Yes, pictures of that dress, please!

love you,
pam

Holly Ann said...

Ohhh I know... There is a sinister laugh before the word "cool." Toy Story...do I get 10 points now?

Hope For Life said...

Hey Bekah, that sounds exciting and like quite the adventure you have ahead. I'll be praying for you.

As for the baby that is huge! Your experiences sound so cool, and the skills you are developing are so needed!

Anonymous said...

i am praying for you bekah!

and im guessing the title is from the mean boy in toy story... :)