Sunday, December 03, 2006

thanksgiving...






Since I am living in Germany right now, Thanksgiving isn't really something that gets celebrated. In fact, on Thanksgiving Day, we has mashed potatoes for lunch, and I thought that was going to be the closest thing we got to a typical Thanksgiving meal. But there are too many Americans here for that to happen..

Adam got us all together, we delegated the work, and at 3:00 last Saturday, we all got together for an amazing meal. It went much better then anyone could've planned, I think we were all surprised by how well the food tasted and that there was enough to go around. Before the festivities on Saturday we had some hang out time...

It was a pancake party for my Finnish friend Riikka. It was so fun to have everyone at the apartment and spend one on one time with everyone. However much we enjoyed each other, the pancakes were the highlight. Pancakes, tasted like home. Thanks to my wonderful mother, I also was able to have peanut butter on them. Excellent food.

We couldn't find a turkey, or cranberries, or sweet potatoes, or, or, or...so there was a lot of stuff we didn't have but that made things much more exciting.

The stuffing of course, was the best part of the meal. My mom makes the best stuffing, and I am willing to fight with anyone who disagrees. So before Saturday, I thought, why not try to make it, they have everything in Germany that I need for that. Besides stuffing is the best part, you cannot have Thanksgiving without stuffing. The best part of stuffing is the sausage. You need ground sausage for stuffing, but we are Germany, they love sausage, so they have that here...NOT! We spent most of last Saturday trying to find a solution for this, in the end, we squeezed the meat out of a bratwurst. Yucky. What a special experience that was to share with my dear friends, please take note of the pictures. Some other stuffing issues we had, no celery or sage here. However, Adam did buy two different plants that resembled celery, but in the end, were a leak and some other random vegetable. Yeah, not to worry, it was a hit, despite the lack of ingredients.

After our meal, we went and played games with all the American staff and Americans in Herrnhut. It was a very memorable day, and I am thrilled that we got to spend the time together...












Also you will notice the random costumes. I hope you recognized Charlotte and I were pilgrims. The Friday before our special Thanksgiving we had a nations party. Since we didn't get the chance to dress up for Halloween, we went all out. Everyone wore the traditional clothing of their country or another one. What did we think of when we wanted to dress up as traditional americans? How about the first Americans? So we did our best...thought you might want to see pictures of the world's cutest pilgrim couple...

How was everyone at home's Thanksgivings? I would love to hear about them and see pictures!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bekah, I love the costumes and the sausage!! We spent Thanksgiving in Eastern Washington with the Reinikka's, Mark R parents, Ron and Debbie and Uncle Bri. We were so blessed and spent alot of time talking about how God has blessed us this year. I am so happy that God gave you this AMAZING memory! A Thanksgiving you will never forget. I love you Bekah!

Anonymous said...

bek..
you are beautiful. I love youso much

Bekah said...

The mystery meat was duck and duck gravy. It was excellent. It was my first time eating duck. I was a little disappointed that it came headless when we bought it. I was hoping for a whole "Christmas Story" experience..."tra la la la la la la la la" and then a scream when we chop the head off. But nonetheless it was great food.

Mom, Dad, Pat, whoever came up with the soul patch thing, HILARIOUS! Oh man, I just about wet my pants. It made me think of the time Dad and Pat had the whole deal running. As soon as Pat popped a bracket, off with Dad's tickler...so funny!

Love you guys!

Bekah said...

Kels! I love you! Can't wait until next time we get to talk!

Bekah said...

Miss Patti! I am glad to hear that you had such a blessed Thanksgiving. Family time is always so special. Thanks for keeping up on the blog! You're right, it is a memory I will always remember! Love you Patti!

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhhhahahaha
bekah you are the cutest man ever.
love,
chantal
miss you of course.

Anonymous said...

Bekah, your mom is right: you have a real flair for writing! I love your stories, and the pictures are wonderful....and how creative are you all! Wow! But I'm sorry: the sausage is, well, yuk! :-) Keep the updates coming, it's like you're right here. Well...not really...
Miss you, praying for you and yours....