Monday, June 06, 2011

past, present and future.

when i came to the birth attendant school three years ago my sister was freshly married, i was 19 and my brother had just finished his freshman year of high school. claire and elsie, my nieces were 2.5 and barely could talk.

today i live in a house with 7 people from 5 countries, my eyes have welcomed a border of wrinkles and i have shed that awkward puberty weight that i first came to australia with. several dear friends are great with child, my nieces can figure out quicker airplane routes than the airlines i take, most of my friends from church/school have started or are anticipating starting their lives with significant others. i am a different person now and so is everyone else.

i started thinking about all these changes when i made this movie for my brother last night. it was supposed to be something to encourage and reflect on his life because he is graduating this year. this got me on this path of trying to conjure all that has transpired in the last three years and in pat's whole life. it made my head hurt. you know, my brother is the exact same age as Andy in Toy Story 3...october of last year i was flying and i started sobbing whilst watching Andy pack up his room-all the sudden it clicked, that could be Pat!

here is what i think, this is a reality of life. things CHANGE. hair colours change, speaking of which, i am the proud owner of yellow hair currently. people get married. babies are born. pat is going to have girlfriends. i started liking onions and chili.
so, i need to learn to embrace it and not hate it.
and isn't this the beauty of it all. people move on and do bigger and better things.

on friday i said good bye to my dear friend and mentor, Hollie. She trained me to be a midwife. Her family is moving to the east coast to start a new chapter.
over the course of Fri-Mon I said goodbye to 14 students of the BAS 2010.
tomorrow i will take a dear family to the airport as they continue on with vision G*od has given them for Burma.

we can't stay in the same spot, we have to keep moving forward--
sometimes that is a physical move or just a mental shift.

if this is the life my G*od has called me into, he is going to equip me to graciously grasp the changes.
so i embark on embracing.

2 comments:

Sarah Park said...

You GO GIRL! You just have to keep focused on the HELLOs (not the goodbyes)... on the cool things you get to be part of (not the things you are missing out on)... It is hard to realize that everyone else's life is going on while you're not part of it... that's just part of the life God has called us to... There will be time for being together in heaven! :)

Sheena said...

I feel like I am just realizing how much changes and trying to figure out if I like the change, or if it is worth it. I know in the long run it will be, but in the moment its hard. You want to be a part of everyone's life, but can't. I love Sarah's comment about there being time in heaven and it truly wil be better than any time we could have together here on earth... the hard part is just trying to convince myself of this.