Monday, May 17, 2010

tstmny

Sunday night we were wandering down a boardwalk, near the beach, where many foreigners come, in between the lighted walkways are bars and dance clubs. I met a young girl who was trying to sell bracelets and small trinkets. My heart hurt to see her there in a lustful environment, going from tourist to tourist, up late, doing things children shouldn't be doing. I didn't have any money with me but so badly wanted to win her over, look into her eyes and tell her how precious she was. She didn't speak any English and was frightened when I would softly touch her shoulder. I asked G*d "what can I give to her?". I reached into my bag and remembered a bottle of nail polish that I had bought for a girl in India that I never saw again. I handed the shiny, red bottle over to her and she accepted it and walked away, not receiving what she was hoping for. All I could think was that she deserved a bigger picture of life then what poverty was giving to her family. As we were leaving I ran into this same little girl, her whole demeanor had changed; a joyful little girl with light in her eyes waved me over to see the masterpiece on her friend's hands. Even if only for a moment, she was able to shrug off the responsibility and see the creativity given to us through a child's eyes, it was a glimpse of G*d's kingdom. Thank you G*d.

This week concludes our work in the clinics here, next week we will say our good byes, pack our belongings and head back to Perth, Saturday the 29th. I am wrestling with the reality of this, wondering what life is going to look like when I am back in Perth. Although I will be involved with the school (doing background prep-for outreach, and participating in small groups, etc.), I will also be serving in other ministries. My heart is preparing for the painful good byes that are ahead and the sudden changes that will follow.

No comments: