Saturday, December 20, 2008

update

Hello Everyone…

Week two, I think, yes, from Bamenda. We have spent the last week working in the hospital, taking assessments nearly every night and of course preparing for our nearing holidays. It has not been an easy transition here. As I shared last week, we really feel like Go*d has something incredible for us if we are facing so much difficulty.

During inter*cession this week, we spent some time “warming our engines”. We received a picture of lubricating an engine, de-icing a car, waiting before we hit the freeway for our team. As we pra*yed into this, I understood more. We cannot just begin spending full days at the hospital. I will not immediately understand how things work at the base and what I can help out with or immediately be in great relationship with the staff. Someone described this time as “plowing the fields”. This time is imperative and will play into the harvesting. I need to be flexible and working hard at observing, asking questions and observing some more. I am so anxious to dive right into it all, but I think that would be a recipe for disaster, like the Booklets Baking Boo-Boo.

A couple of the team experienced what is happening this week in the spiritual realms during birth. A woman and her baby were rushed through an augmented labour and the baby was hardly breathing when he was born. Immediately our staff lead out in resuscitating the wee-one. The hospital had no equipment except for a bulb suction. We carry stuff with us in case these things happen. After 45 minutes of fighting in pra*yer and action, the baby was taking 8 breathes per minute, not ideal, but they were able to transfer him somewhere that they could give him oxygen. I do wonder what would have happened to the child if we had not been there to fight for him. Some of the staff shared that sometimes the midwives haven’t seen someone fight for a baby in pra*yer and that is something we can bring.

This next week will include two times at the hospital and then our Christmas break. Yay! This will be our first break since we arrived in Perth . I don’t know what I will do with myself!

Bless you all. I hope you are all enjoying the snow! I can’t imagine what it looks like! Merry Christmas everyone!

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Startin' to sound a bit Aussie-ish, Bek. ;)

Blessings on this time of transition, observation, and hands-off (more) learning. I know I'd be so stubborn and want to rush things, but you are much wiser than I. God is with you.

Merry Christmas.

Holly Ann said...

Merry Christmas, Bekah!

Holly Ann said...

Ruthann and I were at your sister's house, and we were all expressing desire for an update from you, dearest Bekah. But we understand that you can't just pull out your mac and start a wireless connection, so we will be patient.

You are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. We are anxious to have you home, but we know that God is working in you and through you.

I love you, Bekah!