Saturday, October 25, 2008

what to say...

Okay, I think it would be easier if I made more time during the week to update my blog and then it wouldn't all pile up once a week. Now if only I could get this through my head...

The past four days have been divided with lectures and ministry. In fact, in about 15 minutes we are beginning lecture on inserting cannulas and catheters. I am SO excited.

Well recapping on this week, I have had time to reflect a lot of our ministry. We currently have four women's classes, a maternal hospital visit and church/day of Compassion weekly. This week though, it seemed like I just had more time to sit and process. I am reading the book called "Irresistable Revolution". Just one thing that he has been talking about is the fact that many of us know the teachings of Jesus, but we don't live them out. We know of Jesus, but we don't know Jesus. Jesus loves the poor, but we don't even know the poor. I have been tossing these thoughts back and forth. He shares a quote from Rich Mullins, ("there is thunder in his footsteps and lightning in his fists) "You guys are all into that born again thing, which is great. We do need to be born again, since Jesus said that to a guy name Nicodemus. But if you tell me I have to be born again to enter the kingdom of God, I can tell you that you have to sell everything you have to give it to the poor because Jesus said that to one guy too, but I guess that's why God invented highlighters, so we can highlight the parts we like and ignore the rest." Now, I ultimately am still processing this. I don't know about context and studying which Hebrew word was used for which word, but I am fully enveloped by this thought. I guess I am just really entranced by the life that Jesus offers us. The richness of life comes from meeting palpating bellies in dimly lit rooms and drinking green apple jolly rancher juice while hearing about different ways to mop houses. This is what is bringing God's kingdom. There are seeds waiting to be planted, fruit waiting to grow, sweetness waiting to be tasted...

I want to know the poor, I feel really challenged. I don't want to let go of this.

This week we again taught in the railroad slum. Nearly eight feet off the tracks are where the houses begin. I know this isn't how God intended for anyone to live. Sarah was waiting for an antenatal check to finish up and she watched a boy stand in the meter wide walkway and pee all over himself onto someone's house. This week began the rainy season, the slums will begin flooding up to a meter high. We must be wreckless hopers and lovers.

I am meeting God here. He has gone before us.

I have really had to fight to write this blog. I don't know why, I guess I don't want it to sound like peaches and cream (yum), but God is bringing beauty from ashes and is meeting us in the mountains and the valleys.

What is going on in America? Election time is coming...
Miss you guys. Thanks for reading friends.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

If you have to fight to write, Bek, then be kind to yourself and let us wait. I imagine you're so full of processing now that it would be almost impossible to be as cohesive (and wonderful) as you have been here.

As you meet with Jesus and these folks, so far from what you know and process it all, never forget to be as gentle with yourself as you are with those around you.

Just some un-asked for advice from a mom who has never been on a mission far from home. So I really don't know of what I speak. But I pray you peace, strength and comfort as you journey.