Saturday, October 11, 2008

Is once a week too infrequent? Is "infrequent" even a word?

This past week has contained several moments of wondering, "How did this all happen?", "Why am I allowed to be a part of this?". There are plenty of moments to reinforce my questions and ultimately the answers come back to God giving me the desires of my heart, more than I even understood that these were the desires of my heart, God knew and He gave them to me.

1. Yesterday while walking through the slums, I able to sit with a woman who was searching her friend's hair for lice. I was blessed by hearing her story of coming to the city. Including being married at 17, delivering her only son at 7 months and selling herbal tea to make ends meet. She wants to learn about preventing diarrhea and fever because her family gets sick during the rainy season since the slum floods during the rainy season.

2. I played hopscotch with 20 Indonesian children who were practicing their english while we waited our turns.

3. Asking a gentleman if I can hold his baby and having him light up that I would want to. She was three months old and had a rat tail.

4. Going to bed knowing that there are 7 other girls in the room who are committed to unifying themselves with me and Jesus. We remind ourselves of the disciples: Ministry together, cook together, clean together, sleep together, hehehe.

5. Each morning coming downstairs to a oatmeal and a secluded courtyard. Following, a time of spirit filled worship and then a couple hours of lecture on obstructed labour with experience filled leadership.

6. A couple of girls being able to meet a woman who was paralyzed from a stroke. She lays on her bed in a dark room because she is embarassed of what the community will think. After praying over her they asked if she would like to come to our teachings. She was fully blessed.

Our life is a gift. God wants to use us. There have been several challenging moments this week, but at this moment of typing to you all, I want you to know that we are blessed to be breathing and knowing our Saviour. When God asks us to obey, it is because He has the absolute best in mind for us. God is bringing healing to our nations.

One last story...
As Robyn, Anna and I headed to Bible reading last week, we had the chance to stop and pray for a man who had a burn on his right leg. He was belssed that we asked him. As we began to pray, heaven opened and we were asking for healing. Before our eyes, the brown skin moved into the pink skin...as we walked away, we knew we had seen God's hand.

Praise God!

5 comments:

Vickie Dinneen said...

Bek...I could read an update daily but realize that you do not have that kind of time. But none the less, I log on each day in hopes that you have that kind of time but am equally blessed to see who has posted on your comments.

Your experiences are out of an obedient and willing heart. Your words challenge me to stretch myself knowing that a simple trip to the grocery store may bring an opportunity to share my faith or encourage someone in their life...if I am just aware!

We Dinneens miss you terribly! The fall colors are beautiful and the last of Gail's leaves are still hanging on, but one more blow and they will be in our yard! Today we have our first frost and I am sure that you are in sweltering heat! God is so amazing!

We love you and continue to think about you often and that always leads us to pray for God's will and direction for your day. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experinces, it helps with how very much we miss you!

Mum xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Little Debbie,
I love you so much! I'm so glad you're seeing God's glory where you are!
Your mom gave me the little brown cigarette note this evening, you're so sweet to me.
You know how great our God is- well, not fully but as much as you can now. Our LORD IS WONDERFUL!!!
I can't get over that He chose us, and He called us worth the sacrifice.
God is using you for His work! What an awesome thing! This little comment is probably not helping you at all because you're already pumped up about how awesome He is and now I'm making you even more I'm so sure, pretty soon you'll be shaking because you're so excited about who He is!
I love you, and I will talk to you later!
Love Always,
Katie
P.S.
Its official, I can't have children..;{ wah wah waaaahhh

Gretchen said...

Wow...your last story is so incredible. Almost unbelievable. Almost. Thank you so much for your updates. Any amount is right for me. Don't feel obligated, but we sure love to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday blog...you are two years old. hahahaha...silly me, blogs don't have birthdays. My highlight of the week would have been the baby with the rat tail. You should just start carrying scissors with you, just in case you find another one :) love you little lamb.

Anonymous said...

Bekah,
Thank you so much for your kind note. It was so sweet and of course made me cry! Go figure....something new and different! We are off to Women's Retreat tomorrow and I am remembering our sweet time together and how precious your leading of our table was! Your sharing is constantly reminding me of how my purpose needs to be "How can I Glorify God"? You are such a blessing to me sweet girl. I love you and pray God is blessing you each day! Cindy Nelson