Sunday, August 08, 2010

i just finished a satisfying dinner of lamb stew and sourdough bread and for dessert, a glass of milk.

there is so much commentary in store for this opening sentence.
Firstly, lamb...I have consumed enough lamb in this month than I ever had in my years in America. We just don't eat lamb. They are cute animals that represent J*sus and we don't herd enough of them to slaughter them.
Secondly, all the bread I have ever eaten here has been donated. Twice daily we pick bread up in the city, and when I say "pick up bread" I mean 5, 6, 7 massive trash bags. Abundance.
And milk--for some reason we have also received an abundance of milk donation, expired it may be, but delicious it is. Although there isn't enough to drink it by the glass usually, this weekend has called for a rare season. Yummm...It tasted like gas station. Okay, allow me to explain "tasting like gas station". I grew up as a milk snob. Twice a week a little man, called Bob Phelps (at least that is who we made the check out to), would bring 2% or 1% (depending on the Dinneen season) milk in 1/2 gallons and leave it in our milk box. It tasted like he drove the cow around in the milk truck, milked it in your drive way and then left the sealed carton in your insulated milk box, it was so fresh. On the off week, we would drink more than bargained for and then we would either go without milk until the next delivery day (torture) or my gracious father would pick some up on his way home from work. At some point , we decided this "pseudo milk", often purchased at texaco, tasted horrible, and dubbed it "gas station milk"---the worst of the worst. And now, having milk powder be a luxury, I look back at my silly jokes and wonder-"Why didn't dad spank his ungrateful daughter?" Hahaha. Thanks for your patience dad.

This weekend has been good. I reread the book "Is that really you G*d?". I feel like once again I have the vision of sending youth into the nations and how G*d uses the willing.

I did want to ask for pr*yer from you all. Yesterday, my friend, the very one who lent me his long board, was riding and took a really bad fall. He is currently in critical condition at the hospital, some bleeding on the brain, fractured skull, ruptured ear drum...but with that said-he is conscious, joking around and in a state of recovery. His parents are coming from Switzerland, they should be here tonight. Please take a moment to pr*y. I feel like he is definitely going to be fully recovered, but we need to cover him to get to that point.

Thank you guys for reading. It has been a weekend of getting things done. Gearing up for seeing outreach finances come in!

Look forward to hearing from you :)

No comments: