Sunday, January 31, 2010

my december update. im working on january's :)

This was what I meant to post about two weeks ago. I didn't want to miss out on sharing these testimonies, so I went ahead and added it today.


Hi guys. I must begin apologetically. The past two weeks, I personally have been riddled with sickness as well as increased responsibilities and there wasn’t the usual time to sit down and hack out the update. Please accept my apology and enjoy what’s coming…

Here is a testimony from one of the students about how G*od is moving amongst the staff…

I was working in the hospital last Monday taking care of women in the postnatal (after they deliver) ward. One woman caught the attention of another student who then called me over to her bed. We checked the woman and discovered that she had been sent over from the labour ward with an unrepaired tear that looked quite bad. We called for one of the doctors to come who had experience repairing tears. “First, she will need a catheter to empty her bladder, and the hospital doesn’t have any more” said the doctor. This was a serious situation; her tear needed immediate attention. By saying this, he meant, “There is nothing I can do right now.” She didn’t have any money, so she would have to wait for until her family came and brought a catheter. It was at that exact moment that Emily walked by and said “I have a catheter, she can have it!” the doctor looked at her a moment and then asked “Did you buy it with your own money?” rubbing his fingers together. She smiled and said yes, “Because Jesus loves these women.” And then she left to get the catheter. I was still standing there with the doctor and he was obviously very touched by this act. I looked at him and he looked at me with moist eyes as he shook his head saying, “I would never expect someone like you to do something like this for one of these women. Breathing in the beauty of this moment, I echoed Emily’s words, “It is because J*esus loves them, and we love them.” This man, a doctor and a Muslim looked at me and said, “I know – and that is what I appreciate about you; you love.” In the end, the woman got the catheter and her tear was successfully repaired. It was so cool to see how a simple act, done in love, at the right moment, could have such a tremendous impact on a doctor and make such a difference for that woman. That is how J*esus is; His love changes people’s lives.

Here is another quick one about the same doctor and my experience with him later in the same week…

A student and I were conducting a delivery with a case that had been labouring since morning. As Birth Attendants, we learn and put into practice covering each delivery in prayer, saying aloud a prayer for the woman and welcoming God’s presence in that exact moment. All seemed to be going normally when the baby delivered and appeared lifeless. Seconds later the placenta delivered as well. The placenta is the baby’s sustenance, with it delivering so shortly after the baby we knew this baby was not getting any oxygen and asked ourselves “How long has the baby been without oxygen?” When we laid our hands on the baby it miraculously had a heartbeat and so we quickly separated the baby so that it could be stimulated and resuscitated. We knew we were experiencing a miracle, how was the heart beating if there was no source of blood? At the exact moment that the baby was delivering a doctor was bringing two med students around for a tour. When the placenta came, he commented to the effect of, “too bad, the baby is dead” and when he heard our exclamations that the baby was alive, he shook his head and said “this is because the followers of J*esus are here”. We have had many conversations previously with this Muslim doctor about the power in J*esus and in this moment, he gave glory to G*od and rightfully acknowledged that the miracle of this baby’s life belonged to God.

Our time in the hospital is winding down and the place we have called home is one we are leaving behind. This Saturday we are departing from Tanzania . I struggle with the fact that we have to go for now. It seems with this little organization of ours that somehow you always get connected again, it’s the saying “bye and I don’t know when I will see you again” that hurts. G*od has been speaking about investing into short term relationships personally, and this is the part that makes me not want to do that. I must trust him.

We will land in Perth on Monday and stay there for 12 days, celebrating the 25th Anniversary of our base and then the 50th Anniversary of our international organization. Then we will take off for India .

I am still blogging at www.bekah29.blogspot.com so you can get more frequent updates if you like. I also would like to ask you to send me your postal address. I am trying to compile an address book and I want you to be a part of it.

Thanks, you guys rock. G*od is with you my friends.

Bekah

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

"this is because the followers of J*esus are here..." This leaves me speechless and so thirsty. May it said of Christians no matter the location of the mission field. God is so big. Hugs, dear Bek.