Saturday, May 09, 2009

Woot! Woot!

Yes, it is in fact May, and I am in fact updating you, my ever faithful pra*yer warriors and moral supporters.

I bid everyone greeting from the distant island of Lingira, where monkeys roam free, the air smells of drying fish constantly and everything you could ever imagine is only a 3 hour boat ride away. Here I didn’t think that I would be able to update you for the past month, and I have been blessed with the chance to come back to mainland and share with you about the last three weeks we have been here on the Island.

If all goes as planned, I will have left Lingira by 9, arrived in Jinja (mainland) by 12 and had three hours in town until the boat leaves between 3 and 5, you cannot be too sure when it will sail.

These last weeks we have been rowing to the surrounding islands, villages and camps to immunize babies and children and child bearing women. Yes, I was kidding about the rowing part, we do have a motor. I am feeling more and more comfortable with making the kids cry when I give injections and I am growing in my technique as well. The most exciting part of our Monday, Wednesday and Friday outings, is that we have been able to begin giving antenatal care to the pregnant mothers. There are two faithful staff here at the base that know the local language and are committed to training in antenatal care. G*od has been so faithful in bringing rare cases, teaching opportunities, etc. I love seeing them learn something new, loving on the women, bringing justice where it is due through health care. We will leave the clinic and base here, knowing that there are people better trained in mother and child healthcare, and that’s what we like to see.

Life here is slower paced, making for creative evenings, plenty of chances to hear G*od speak and blessed time to relax. I wish I could depict the beauty that surrounds us. We are greeted each morning with an orange sunrise that stains the clouds a deep pink and fades into a cool morning. The thick, “safari” shaped trees fill what little space has been allotted, while the tall grass makes for a stunning streak to the striking views of Lake Victoria. It takes about 1.5 hours to walk through each camp (settlement of people) and it is worth each step.

I always have to leave out so many details. Plain, Times New Roman black font, cannot do justice to all the mighty works our Fa*ther is doing in accordance to his plan with and through our team. Thank you for reading my little letter. I would like to say, that it is quite possible that next time I write one to you, I will no longer be on this continent. On the 27th of May, we will begin the journey home to Australia, where we will debrief the last eight months for about 10 days. On June 6, I will go from down-under, to the Happiest Place on Earth, Seatac airport (people will try and tell you it’s Disneyland, you can send them my way and I can correct them). I am so looking forward to the reunion and transfusion of life that will happen between me and all of you. I will keep you posted on an open house and any other events for us to meet up at. Bless you friends!

6 comments:

Gretchen said...

Thanks for, as always, the outstanding update, Bekah. I'm thrilled that you're learning more, being blessed, and heading toward that happiest place on earth.

Charlotte said...

Thanks for the update, Bek! I love hearing how God is blessing you and in that, how he is using you. SO AMAZING! I love you dearly and can't wait to hear about more of your adventures! Love & Hugs from sunny California!

kels said...

love you bek- can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

You blessed your mum on mum's day with your mail and blog!
We count the moments till we see
you.
We'll be the one with tears in our eyes.

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

You blessed your mum on mum's day with your mail and blog!
We count the moments till we see
you.
We'll be the one with tears in our eyes.

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for conveying in a way only you can the beauty of the place God has you! Cannot wait to see your smiling face in person and to hug you! Lots of Love,
Cindy