Sunday, February 22, 2009

a brief one.

Last Wednesday we shared as a team about the case studies we had been working on. Mine personally was about large blood loss after delivery of the baby, and following the presentation I was asked about what I had learned. I felt like I really took a hold of the importance of education, that in my particular case, this woman would have bled to death had she not returned for us to withdraw the remaining blood clots.

The next day I was in antenatal care and was given the chance to do the teaching. I felt immediately prompted to teach about the stage of labour when the placenta is delivered even though this is an uncommon topic to be taught to the pregnant mums. I shared with the women the steps that would happen after they delivered their babies, we talked about the shots they would receive, the procedures that would occur, how much blood could possibly be lost. That day as I checked each women, they were inquisitive, asking questions about their antenatal cards, what each category meant, etc. They were taking hold of the education they had been given and felt like there was space to ask and receive answers.

The following Monday, one of the women delivered her baby and lost too much blood. She knew exactly what to do and she was prepared. When I found this out, I had such peace of mind. I felt such gratitude to G*od that before she experienced what could have been a scary situation, she was prepared by knowing how much blood was too much and she could expect what needed to happen. When I followed up with her case, she was so happy and grateful for the safe delivery of her baby girl. I believe that education is the beginning of empowering women and transforming nations and a piece of that occurred on this day of caring for pregnant mums.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I use an edited version of this for my update? I want to include a testimony from you guys in my update! pretty pretty please?